Getting Healthy

319348_10150377575636133_514752778_n

As much as I prefer talking overall health, not focusing solely on weight-loss, I think it might help someone to hear my story. Being a healthy weight really is very important. Being overweight can carry numerous health consequences such as high blood pressure, joint pain, fatigue, etc.  Both pregnancies I’ve had, I’ve gained about 50 lbs. I get extremely nauseated and then eat, thinking it will make me feel better, but it never does. I just gain weight. So both times post-partum, I had a long journey ahead of me.

This was taken a few months before I got pregnant: (You can’t see my whole body, but I was at my healthiest weight.)

IMG_0052

This picture of my adorable family was taken when I was about 10 weeks pregnant:

IMG_6050a

This was about a year ago, after my second pregnancy:

IMG_1934

This is me, taken about 10 minutes ago:

IMG_4369

After my first, I lost all the weight, plus some and have done the same after my second.

Bottom line, my story is this: it can be done! I have done it twice, and I am proof it can be done! When you gain whatever amount of weight, for whatever reason, you can lose the weight. You can become fit again. You can be healthy. Not all is lost, even thought at times it may feel like you were just meant to be a “bigger person”. That isn’t the truth. The fact is that our bodies were meant for physical labor, and for most of us that means daily exercise. We weren’t meant to sit around all day. Biologically, we are built to be active. When we aren’t active, our bodies accumulate weight and store it for a rainy day that most likely will never come. We were also built to consume whole, nutrient-dense foods, and not the high-calorie, empty-nutrient foods that stock most grocery store shelves.

One of my core beliefs when it comes to being healthy is you must to pay your dues. You have to exercise and you must have good nutrition. Having the right diet takes educating yourself on what is healthy and what isn’t. There are so many things out there blabbing to us that this is healthy and this isn’t, you really have to research and figure it out for yourself. There are many products on the market that claim to be healthy and are really horrible for you. You have to read labels and do research. You have to eat right. You have to put your time in exercising. You have to pay your dues. It can be done! And you CAN do it!

4 Comments on Getting Healthy

1. Jordan | Berlin By the Bay
    June 4, 2013 at 3:49 am (4 years ago)

I’m right there with you on this! I just came across your blog and believe we share the same beliefs regarding exercise and nutrition. I lost all the weight very quickly from my pregnancy, but it came with exercise and eating very clean-however I still don’t feel the same-I wonder if I ever will!?

• amygolding@gmail.com
      June 5, 2013 at 12:17 am (4 years ago)

I was looking over your blog too! LOVE it. I promise you will feel your normal self again! I think it really just takes time. Your baby is still really little! She is adorable btw!

2. Natalie@foodforlittlesouls
    June 9, 2013 at 11:52 am (4 years ago)

Man, you give me hope. I returned to my normal weight quite quickly after my first but after my second i am still struggling to lose those last few kilos and regain my core strength. You have inspired me. Got to get serious about my exercise again.

• Amy
      June 19, 2013 at 10:26 pm (4 years ago)

Aw thanks! You can do it! I promise! I’m here for support if you need it!